Asian Invasion: Day 3 - GDS XC Goes Global (and a Typhoon!) (Sept 23)  

Posted by nate.

Well, here I am at the end of another day in Hong Kong, and I am tired. Jet lag is beginning to catch up to me, and I’m falling asleep as I type. Part of my fatigue comes from this morning, as I was offered the opportunity to “go running” with Cindy, one of the missionaries who has run about 6 marathons. Now when I’m offered a chance to “go running”, I figure there will be normal terrain, maybe 6-8 miles. When she thinks running, however, her running is more like hiking up a mountain, very quickly. We ended up going about 10-12 miles at a fast walk or a run, but after some of the huge sets of stairs, I was about to die. The run/trail walk this morning is one of the hardest workouts I have ever done, as jet lag, pollution, and intense climbs culminated to humble me and my supposed fitness. For me, I was eventually able to make it, but the most irksome detail was that Cindy was trucking along with no trouble, and I was about to die. I lose. But, there were some awesome views from the mountains that we traveled over. The below picture shows me in front of one of the peaks that we jogged straight up called Lion's Peak. It hurt.

The expedition started about 7 this morning, and we got back to the OMS offices around 10:30. From that time until lunch, I showered and spent some time doing some homework. Lunch was at a delicious Chinese restaurant close by. My chopstick abilities are developing fairly well, and I love genuine Chinese food, though it is strange sometimes. I have no idea what I have eaten, for the most part, except that it resembles some sort of meat and vegetables, sometimes wrapped in something clear, or mixed with rice or noodles. If you’re willing to try things, Chinese food can turn out to be excellent, just don’t think about what you might be eating. After lunch, I spent much of the afternoon struggling through Calculus work… Good times.

At about 5 that evening, the local directors, my grandfather, and I all left the offices to attend the Seminary Board meeting at a small hotel downtown. Small may be a slight understatement, as you can see by the picture. This is not usual practice for my grandpa’s meetings, but one of the individuals on the board is a regular at this restaurant and he fronted the bill for the evening. The dinner was a buffet; we ate as much food as we wanted from the extensive selections that were offered. The restaurant had everything from fried calamari, to salad, to Mongolian barbeque, to sushi. By the time that the group left the hotel, we were waddling to the parking lot, our stomachs filled with delicious Chinese dishes. Past the stir-fry and the vegetables hid another dimension of the buffet--the desert line. If the buffet was not enough, the desert line had over 20 different selections of custards, cakes, and fruit. Dinner was warming to heart and to the stomach.

Also tonight, we are in the middle of a typhoon. That’s right, a typhoon! As I sit here typing, the rain is pounding on the windows and the door is shaking. The worst of the typhoon, which is essentially a hurricane in the Pacific, was tonight at 9, and the rain was coming down so hard that my shirt was soaked during the 4 second walk from the car to the door. Being a category 8 typhoon, this means that the storm is a strong one. The picture on the left shows the storm cloud coming in over the city. Hopefully, enough of the storm will pass so that our flight can leave tomorrow, for tomorrow we’re off to Korea. I feel as though I have paid my jet lag dues and it is now time for my body to adjust, but we will see how it cooperates with that plan tomorrow. Until next time…

More pictures at picasaweb.google.com/nate.tilley/Asiatrip

nate.

Posted by Picasa

This entry was posted on Saturday, October 25, 2008 at 12:09 PM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment